24 September 2012

lame

You realize how much you take your feet for granted when one of them is suddenly not functioning properly. Friday I started getting a feeling of numbness on one of my toes. It was off and on so I didn't think much of it. Over the weekend it slowly became more constant, and now today at work I don't feel like I can walk on the ball of my foot.  It's not painful really, just alarming that my toe is numb.  I've self-diagnosed it as Morton's neuroma.  Wikipedia has amusingly pointed out that I am in good company with fellow sufferers Steven Tyler and Patrick Duffy, as well as a Golden Girls episode where Dorothy had surgery for her Morton's neuroma.  I guess AARP was right when they sent me that membership card last week.

I'm not amused either, Dorothy.
I'm signed up for a 5k this weekend, but I guess they'll just get my donation. I made an appointment with a podiatrist for next Wednesday, and I feel like I should take it easy until then.  Sad.  What kind of exercises can you do without using your feet?  Water aerobics? Tried that once and I was the youngest person by about 30 years. Awkward and barely a workout. Swimming? I only float around and crave frozen fruity drinks when I'm in the pool. Plus, it's fall.  Rowing machine? Stationary bike?  Maybe, but I'll have to go the gym, and I only belong to a kickboxing gym.  I guess I'll just use my little hand weights for now while I figure out something. Maybe I'll try squats and crunches too. I miss running already. :(


No comments:

Post a Comment